Monday 5 October 2020

Will my Great Grandchildren GO to the Moon?

 Mother's advice before giving my first talk in public - 'Don't try to be clever, just be yourself' ?

I know I’m old, but!

I was sitting in summer shorts with a grandchild aged 8 - I have a leg scar from a dog bite - He asked about it, I joked “It’s a war wound”

He said “Canon ball or Arrow”?

When any of my 4 great grandchildren call in, I look at them and think what will they see in their lifetime.?

If the speed of change since my birth in 1926, continues, then we are into fantasy land I think?

Imagine my great grandpa looking at me when I was 5 in 1931 and wondering what I would see?

He was born in 1841, would have no idea his great grandchild (me) would see comic book  science fiction stories of rocket ships taking man to the moon - come true! - 

It did - 

In 1969 I watched spellbound, nerves on edge, the landing happening in real time, through another marvel -  television.

I am fascinated with what the next 100 years will bring ? Indications are it will be unimaginable.

Consider the bewildering transformation going on now - a dramatic period of transition and evolution surely?

What you don't know about you don’t miss

As well as being a force for good, wider access to knowledge brings unrest to deprived parts of the world.

  I can relate to this by comparison with life in the village where I grew up in the 1930s. We were content knowing little of what was happening beyond our village.

But I know now our living conditions would be thought hard - paraffin oil lighting, a trek to the bottom of garden for the hole in the ground toilet

My grandchildren have no idea of such conditions. I’ve only to say ‘In my Day’, and their eyes roll upwards in a ‘Here we go again’ expression.

The best and funniest example of ‘In my day’ hardship stories is a Monty Python sketch.

Monty python sketch -

 https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k

P.S.- 'Will my great grandchildren go to the moon'? - My equivalent in the 1930's was the annual school days outing to Barry Island, our nearest seaside. Oh, the excitement for me and big brother Stan as the coach came into view. It was such a big thing in our lives we almost wet ourselves! (Barry Island - Now the setting for top TV series 'Gavin & Stacey')

Share this

https://yourfuturebythefuturist.blogspot.com/

Monday Oct 5th 2020 - MIT Scientists say Nuclear Fusion Energy Could Be Closer Than Thought - 

Researchers at MIT and a start-up spun out of MIT are working on a nuclear fusion experiment ...........  Link to article 

- https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Nuclear-Power/MIT-Scientists-Nuclear-Fusion-Energy-Could-Be-Closer-Than-Thought.html

"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A letter from a young girl to her parents

  The parents saw their 19 year old daughter off to university. They received a letter saying how well she was settling in, then nothing. ...